Overcoming ISIS: PART THREE
In our previous article we showed biblically that even after ISIS is defeated, it is likely 2 or 3 Caliphates will arise even more dangerous than ISIS. They will culminate in the Beast Empire. This may seem defeatist, but it is actually liberating. God has shown us the future so we know best how to fight and don’t waste effort in the wrong areas.
Conservative Christians currently seem most concerned with how to politically and militarily defeat ISIS. I am not opposed to political or military actions, but based on our analysis of Dan. 8 in the last article, it is pretty clear to me that eliminating ISIS will not elminate God’s enemies and may even strengthen them. Just as the USA invading Iraq in 2003 eventually created a power vacuum in the region that allowed ISIS to form, IMO the elmination of ISIS will lead to a more dangerous foe filling the vaccuum left by ISIS. Only the physical return of Jesus will physicially defeat this enemy.
So what are we to do? IMO, we are accept the fact that political solutions may not work and focus on the real battlefield and the real objectives of our warfare. We have been focused on preserving the USA , our western way of life, and our personal safety and freedom; all of which are noble goals. But are these goals the highest goals? 77% of evangelical Christians believe we are already living in the end times according to a Barna Survey. If this huge majority of “us” is correct, don’t we have to adopt new goals and objectives? Is our western way of life going to mean anything in 25 years? Can we as individuals really do anything to prevent Dan. 8 from coming true? Do we want to? Wouldn’t that be fighting against God?
So if perserving our western way of life, isn’t our goal, what is it? What is God’s goal? Why hasn’t he already returned and stamped out evil?
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. (2 Pet. 3:9)
God’s desire is to save every soul that will be saved; that is why he is patiently waiting to return. Souls are more valuable than the USA, our economies and even our very lives. We are to be REVIVALISTS NOT SURVIVALISTS. This is a very hard pill for most Christians to swollow. In a recent article on 99 SHEEP IN THE END TIMES we discussed this very concept. God’s desire is to save every sheep that will be saved, even if it subjects the 99 already saved sheep to persecution as he pursues the one.
Only the Holy Spirit can impact souls. So we will begin by looking at the Church which the Holy Spirit allows to assist him in his battle here on earth. ISIS doesn’t fear armies; it fears Christians who are Spirit empowered and know their Bible and the Quran.
Knowing the Church
This week I was doing a quiet time in Luke and I came across this familiar verse:
But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you. (Luke 6: 27)
And it struck me that reactions of most Christians to ISIS, the refugee crisis, and the world terrorism crisis ignore one of the two highlighted words in this verse.
- Those with a liberal leaning ignore the word “enemies.” They fail to see that Islam is the greatest spiritual challenge Christianity will ever face. Some even believe Muslims are “God fearers” and worship the same God we do.
- Those with a conservative leaning ignore the word “love.” They fail to see that Islamists themselves are the greatest victims of Islamic ideology. They are “souls” and need our love and God’s salvation.
Jesus’s strategy to defeat evil is always counter-cultural! This makes sense because our culture looks at the situation on the earth through fleshly eyes. Jesus always views the situation through spiritual eyes. In the last article we viewed God’s battleplan to defeat Satan:
And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death. (Rev. 12: 11)
This battleplan has three aspects:
- the blood of the Lamb (salvation)
- testimony of the saints (sharing the Gospel)
- not loving life when faced with death (fearlessness)
Changing Our World View
To accomplish this battle plan, first all of us need to change our world view from that of American or European or South American citizens to that of citizens of Jesus’s Kingdom. If we view our problems as Kingdom problems, we will view our solutions as Kingdom solutions. I cannot overstate how important this is. If 77% of evangelicals believe we are in the end times (Barna survey), we need to live like it. We are in the two-minute warning (American Football term). Our strategy and approach to our lives needs to change.
We need to view all people as “souls” that Jesus died to save (the blood of Jesus). The Battle that is coming and that is already here is for those souls. Satan will try and deceive as many as possible. We are to work as ambassadors of our Master’s Kingdom to help him save as many as possible. The coming persecution has a purpose:
But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you to the synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for My name’s sake. It will lead to an opportunity for your testimony. (Luke 21: 12-13)
Testimony is the opportunity God is giving us by allowing persecution. Interestingly we view persecution as a negative, this verse shows its positive aspects.
We are also to change our world view about the value of our own lives. Christians are supposed to be crucified with Christ. That means we have already died to this life (and are alive in Christ). We are to be REVIVALISTS NOT SURVIVALISTS, not valuing our lives as the ultimate “good”. Might the coming struggle cost us our lives? Yes, it very well might, but we will soon be resurrected. We are to live for that Kingdom that is coming. Look at what scripture places FIRST on this list of those who will be destroyed in the lake of fire:
But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. (Rev. 21:8)
Those who fear for their lives lead the pack of the abominable. Fearlessness , the opposite of fear, is a weapon as well.
If this is true, (and I think you intuitively know it is), then our governments can only protect us against the threat of ISIS (God has given us governments to protect us: Rom. 13: 4). They can’t defeat them. Only those who possess the true book (the Bible) and the true messiah (Jesus) can overcome them. Do I think our governments should do whatever they can politically and militarily to protect us? Absolutely, but if we think they will defeat the threat of ISIS for us, we are badly mistaken. They will not overcome it. Overcoming ISIS is the job of the Church. This explains why the government solutions all seem inadequate. How is the Church going to do that? Let’s start at the beginning.
Love Our Enemies
So the bottom line for both groups of Christians (liberal and conservative) we mentioned at the beginning of the article is to “love our enemies.” That means:
- First, identifying them as “enemies,” not of us, but of Christ. We must do everything we can to properly identify Muslims as worshipers of a different God. We must not fall into the liberal trap our culture tries to promote that they worship the God of Abraham (and somehow don’t need salvation). Islam has rejected our scriptures and replaced them with their own “satanic” versions. They have rejected the Messiah; God’s only way to salvation. Allah is not YHWH. They have rejected the Holy Name and rejected the name of Jesus (Yeshua).
- Second, we must not view individual Muslims as political enemies but as “souls” imprisoned within an evil ideological system. Rather than hate them we need to love them.
- Third, we must avoid the temptation to think we will win politically. We must not look to defeat “Caesar” but the power behind the throne with the blood of Jesus, our testimony, and fearlessness unto death.
So what should be our practical approach to the Islamic threat?
- First, IMO, we need to approach the problems as Kingdom problems with spiritual eyes. Fleshly solutions will not produce Kingdom solutions. It is my opinion that every bit of effort expended by Kingdom people on political/military actions is wasted effort on our parts. There are plenty of Americans who are involved in political activity for us. We need to concentrate our efforts on spiritual solutions. Should we vote and voice opinions? Yes of course, but we won’t solve the problems politically.
- We need to help other Christians identify Islam as the enemy of Christ and Muslims as its spiritual and physical victims. I wrote the book Are We Ready For Jesus for the purpose of awakening the Church. One of the awakening needed is that Islam is God’s enemy. Buy two copies of the book at THIS WEBSITE, one for you and one for your pastor. After he reads it, have him contact us about training materials for your church.
- Share the video above on social media: get the word out!!
Learn to become an apologist to Muslims in your own hometown. Christians are incredibly poorly equipped to confront Muslims on why our hope is based on the truth. This will require training. Jesus to Muslims is a great resource as is I2 Ministries. I have my own copy of the Koran translated by a Christian brother. Be aware that most English translations “hide” the problems with the Koran.
Emotionally prepare yourself, your family and church for what it to come. Begin to think yourself as dead to sin and alive in Christ.
Draw near to Jesus.
Christian Muslim Appologetics
No one article can summarize what Christians need to know about witnessing to Muslims; that is why I recommend you visit the site links I listed. It will take study and application. However, there are some key points as we begin to take on the “Beast:”
- We need a spirit of gentleness and humility. We are not trying to win arguments, we are trying to win souls. “Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer every one. Colossians 4.6″
- We need a spirit of confidence. Most Muslims are clueless about the Quran.
- Show respect for Muslims by demonstrating a good knowlege of the Quran and Islamic history.
- Use the Bible, it is sharper than any two edged sword. The Holy Spirit can work with the Word you plant. Remember that Muslims view the Torah and Gospels as divine! Use them.
In a future article: WITNESSING TO MUSLIMS we will examine some specifics of this important aspect of our effort to defeat ISIS.